A one acre city-owned property, located at 234 Pala Vista Drive along Civic Center Drive, just north of Highway 78 is being developed into a small community park. The goal is to design a park to help meet the community’s recreational needs and also provide a welcoming entry way into the city along one of its major travel corridors.
In late 2016, the City purchased the property for future redevelopment of a City park and to serve as a visual entrance into the city of Vista. The project meets two of the City Council’s top priority goals (1) Continue to decrease blight and improve the image of the city and (2) Add additional park space.
The project is currently in the design phase. A Request for Proposals was issued in June, 2017 and design bids were submitted in July 2017. The City has partnered with ASR Landscape Architecture to design the new park site.
Public Outreach Venues - Updated April 18, 2019
- Parks & Recreation Commission Meeting, April 22, 2019
On April 22 City staff will provide an update on the Pala Vista Park capital improvement project to the Parks & Recreation Commission. Staff will review the revised design of the park which incorporates input received during prior public workshops, and will solicit additional public input on advancing the design. The public is encouraged to attend. Feel free to share with others who may be interested in participating.
- Meeting Date: Monday, April 22, 2019
- Time: 6 pm
- Location: Vista Civic Center Council Chambers, 200 Civic Center Drive
Informational “Pop-Ups” Around Vista
Four informational “pop-ups” have been scheduled to share the 60% designs with the public and gather additional feedback. The “pop-ups” will be held at the following locations:
- April 23, 7:30 am to 8:30 am: NCTD Civic Center Station, 810 Phillips Street, 92803
- April 25, 3 pm to 4 pm: NCTD Civic Center Station, 810 Phillips Street, 92803
- April 30, 4 pm to 5 pm: Von’s Grocery Store, 940 S. Santa Fe Avenue, 92084
- May 6, 4 pm to 5 pm: U.S. Post Office, 960 Postal Way, Vista, 92083
Review and Comment on the Park Designs
The Pala Vista Park project designs are available for public review and the park design and graphics of on-site amenities are listed below. The designs are reflective of the work residents and other members of the public have provided to staff to date.
The City is encouraging community feedback. Please email email@example.com with input or questions by May 6, 2019.
- Park Site Plans (pdf)
- Site Furnishings (pdf)
- Playground Equipment (pdf)
- Landscape Plantings (pdf - this is a, large file. Users should "fit to screen" view on their electronic device)
Can’t attend a workshop or have questions about the Pala Vista Park project?
The public is invited to participate and provide feedback. If a member of the public cannot attend any of the outreach venues, the City encourages them to contact the Park Project Manager, Tony Winney at firstname.lastname@example.org to contact the City Manager's Office at 760.643.5200.
Other Past Meetings
- March 2018 Workshops
The City conducted two workshops to gather feedback for the new park design.
July 2018 – Conceptual Plans
The Design Team developed two conceptual plans based upon community/staff input:
- Conceptual Plan Option 1 (Includes perimeter fencing, a children’s playground/swings, passive green space, sidewalk improvements, shade trees, public art, drought tolerant landscaping, benches, water fountains and monument signage on the corner of Civic Center Drive.)
- Conceptual Plan Option 2 (Includes all of the amenities listed in Conceptual Plan Option 1, laid out in a different orientation. More square footage is devoted to passive green space and the children’s playground in this plan. Both plans underground the existing open drainage ditch located on Pala Vista Drive.)
Presentation to Parks & Recreation Commission, July 23, 2018
City staff presented the proposed conceptual park design to the Parks and Recreation Commission on July 23, 2018. The public was invited to participate and a copy of the Commission presentation is available here.
City staff will present the 60% park plans to the City Council in June 2019. Please check the City Council meeting agendas to find out more information on when the item will be heard. The public is invited to participate.
The City’s FY 2017/18 Capital Improvement budget included $750,000 for the design and development of Pala Vista Park.
City Manager’s Office
Tony Winney, Assistant to the City Manager