Civic Center Open: 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Mask required in building with social distancing. Click COVID-19 for information.



Common Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Q. How do I report maintenance issues in the City?

Please contact Public Works at 760. 639.6177 for non-emergency situations. Hours for the Public Works Department are 6:30 am to 4 pm, Monday through Thursday, and 6:30 am to 3 pm on alternate Fridays.

Q. How do I report an emergency situation (sewer blockage/overflow, stop sign down, street blocked due to downed tree) when Public Works is closed?

Call 760.825.3135 for sewer related calls (e.g. spill, blockage, odor); street related calls (e.g. debris in roadway, tree down, sink hole, flooding, street light pole down, oil spill, traffic sign down; for parks related calls (e.g. water main break, broken irrigation line, tree down).

Q. How do I report a traffic signal out or damaged when Public Works is closed?

Please call 760.825.3135.

Q. I live in the unincorporated part of Vista (even though I have a Vista mailing address), how do I contact someone for Public Works concerns?

Residents living in the unincorporated area should contact the San Diego County Department of Public Works at 760.510.2440.

Q. What is the street sweeping schedule for my area?

The City of Vista streets are swept twice a month on specified days and at specified times. Signs indicating parking restrictions for the days and hours for the street sweeping schedule are posted at key locations within the neighborhoods. For questions concerning street sweeping in your area, please contact Public Works at 760.643.5454 during normal business hours.

Q. Will my street be swept on rainy days and holidays?

Streets are not swept on city-recognized holidays, and schedules for the week are not changed to accommodate them. Please check for updates on the City’s website or social media platforms for information on street sweeping cancellations during inclement weather conditions. 

Q. How do I pay for sewer service?

The City of Vista and the Buena Sanitation District provide sewer service to over 21,600 customers combined. Sewer service is billed annually as part of the San Diego County Assessor’s property tax bill and is based on service type and approved rates. To determine which agency provides your sewer service, consult the Sewer Service Area Boundaries map. For a copy of current sewer rates see either the City of Vista Sewer Service Rate Table or the Buena Sanitation District Sewer Service Rate Table. For more Information check here or call the Finance Department at 760.643.5360.

Q. How do I connect to the sewer system?

Sewer capacity charges (wastewater discharge permit fees or sewer connection fees) are one-time fees paid when new development or expansion of existing development occurs and is based on the number of equivalent dwelling units (EDUs) projected to be contributed to the system. Sewer capacity charges are adjusted annually to reflect the impact of inflation on sewer facility construction costs. Please contact the Sanitation Engineering Division at 760.643.6115.

Q. Where can I get sandbags?

A limit of 10 sandbags for City of Vista residents is available at Public Works at 1165 E. Taylor Street any business day. Proof of residency required (Photo ID). Information will be provided on where sand can be obtained to fill the sandbags.

Q. Who do I call when I see a dead dog in the street or a stray animal?

Contact the San Diego County Humane Society.

Water Service or Water Leak Vista Irrigation District 760.597.3100
Trash Service / Issues EDCO 760. 727.1600
Dead Animal Pickup Humane Society 877.742.5787
Removal of bees on private property Dennis Jobe OR
Gemini Pest Control
760. 726.1436
Household Hazardous Waste Disposal HHW 800. 714.1195
Solid Waste Regional Solid Waste Association (RSWA 619. 607.8115