Civic Center Open: 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Mask required in building with social distancing. Click COVID-19 for information.



Common Questions / Engineering

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

What projects are out to bid? Click the following: Listing of all Advertised Projects

Where do I find benchmarks? Vista's benchmark maps are compiled from field surveys ranging from 1982 to 2006.

Where do I get a Development Permit? Contact Development Services at 760.643.5395 or visit the Community Development Department webpage.

Sewer / Septic Related

How do I find out if my property is on sewer or septic? Please contact 760.643.5417.

Information about private sewer laterals, conversion from septic systems to city sewer, connecting to sewer system? Please contact 760.643.5417.

Why is FOG (Fats, Oils, & Grease) a problem? Fats, Oils, and Grease (FOG) can accumulate in the City's sewer lines, reducing capacity and increasing the amount of maintenance required. Sewer overflows can also occur due to lines clogged with FOG.

How often are FOG permitted food service establishments inspected by the City? All facilities are inspected annually for compliance with FOG requirements.

What can my business do to help reduce FOG? Ensure any dishwashers are set below 140 degrees F. Do not clean floor mats or exhaust hood filters within sinks or dishwashers. Ensure that used plates are scraped clean into the garbage prior to washing within a sink or dishwasher. Clean and maintain grease traps/interceptors regularly; they should never exceed 30% capacity.

Questions on sewer requirements or capacity charges for residential, commercial or industrial sites? Please contact 760.643.5417.

Questions on sewer service or sewer billing? Sewer service is billed annually as part of the San Diego County Assessor's property tax bill and is based on service type and approved rates. To determine which agency provides your sewer service, consult the Sewer Service Area Boundaries map. For more information on billing or sewer rates call 760.643.5364.

How do I find out about the Waste Management Plan for Vista's city-permitted construction projects? Please contact the City Building Inspector assigned to your project. That person will assist you with your Waste Management Plan when required.

How do I report a sewer spill? Please contact Public Works Department.

Questions on septic systems/leach fields? Please contact the County Health Department at 760.471.0730.

Stormwater Related

How do I report illegal discharge of pollutants into a storm drain or creek or a clogged drainage ditch? Contact the Stormwater Hotline at 760.643.2804 or report the problem online at

What do I need to do before holding a fundraiser car wash? Fundraiser car washes are not allowed within the City of Vista because they generate pollution i.e. dirt, oil, grease, metals, and soap that go into the city storm drain system without treatment and flow to our local creeks and waterways. We recommend using commercial car washes which are designed to contain, capture, and prevent wash water from entering storm drains and creeks. Many local car wash operators have agreed to offer discounted car wash coupons or tokens to organizations looking to hold fundraisers, which can in turn be sold at a higher price to raise funds. Contact the water quality hotline at 760.643.2804 or

What do I need to do before draining my pool or spa? Pool and spa water may be discharged to the storm drain only if it has been properly de-chlorinated and does not contain other chemicals. Before you discharge your swimming pool or spa water to the storm drain, make sure the water does not contain chlorine, acid, chemicals, algae, or other pollutants. Flow must be controlled so that it does not cause erosion problems. More information can be found in the City's Best Management Practices for Swimming Pools, Fountains, and Spas brochure.

Traffic Related (Traffic Division: 760.639.6116)

Who do I contact to report a malfunctioning traffic signal, burned out street lights, faded roadway striping, or damaged traffic signs? Please contact Public Works Department..

How do I report traffic signal problems at FREEWAY ON/OFF ramps? Contact CALTRANS at 619.688.3275.

Who do I contact about traffic control plans? Please contact 760.643.5426.

Questions on Right-of-Way permits, Wide Load permits or applications for these permits? Please contact 760.643.5417 or 760.643.5383.


    How can I report or obtain information about street and/or pothole repairs? You can report the problem by calling 760.639.6177 or report the problem online here.

    Questions on City-owned properties and easements or acquisition of property for public projects? Please contact the Right-of-Way Agent at 760.643.5420.

    Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
    They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

    Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer