updated April 2, 2020
Due to the closure of City Hall until further notice, new applications for Planning, Building, Fire or Grading plans or permits will be processed as follows:
- PLANNING: E-mail Patsy Chow, Deputy Director/City Planner with all Planning inquiries – email@example.com.
- BUILDING: E-mail all Building Permit inquiries to – firstname.lastname@example.org. Procedures for Building permit applications can be found here. Electronic plan submittals are for preliminary review only; formal plan review will require submittal of plans/technical reports by appointment.
- FIRE: E-mail all Fire Permit inquiries to – email@example.com. Procedures for fire permit applications can be found here.
- LAND DEVELOPMENT: E-mail Jason Christman, Land Development Engineer with all Land Development, grading and improvement inquiries – firstname.lastname@example.org
Any inquiries related to these interim permitting procedures should be directed to 760.643.5388. Thank you for your patience during this public closure period. City staff’s response time goal for all electronic submittals is five business days. Response time goal for voice mail inquiries is 48 business hours.
PLEASE SEE ABOVE INSTRUCTIONS FOR COVID-19 CITY SERVICES BEING CONDUCTED AT THIS TIME.
The Community Development Department provides and coordinates development information and services to the public. Specifically, this involves inspection and enforcement of City-adopted building codes, plan checking for code compliance, issuance of City-required permits, record keeping of city maps, and processing of site development plans.
- Agendas, Minutes, and Resolutions of Decision-Making Bodies
- Common Questions
- Online Resources
- Municipal & Development Codes
- Zoning Map
- City of Vista: Interactive Map
- Development Projects Interactive Map (information on large-scale planning projects.)
The Building Division is responsible for ensuring that structures adhere to minimum standards to safeguard life, health, property and the public welfare. This is accomplished through building plan review, issuance of building permits and inspection of buildings to ensure compliance with local and state laws. The Building Division is also responsible for providing staff support to the Building Board of Appeals, which convenes on an as-needed basis to address building issues. Building permits information and handouts are available at the Development Services counter or by contacting 760.639.6108. Building Inspections can be requested by e-mail at email@example.com, or by phone at 760.639.6106, or at the Development Services counter.
Development Services provides one-stop permitting for development customers. The Development Service Center is the initial point of contact for information pertaining to development issues, permit applications and development fees. It is also the final contact for issuance of all permits. This office maintains files of all city maps.
The Planning division is tasked with ensuring land uses in Vista comply with City codes, the General Plan, City Council and Planning Commission policies, and state law requirements. Approval of projects through the planning process is required prior to issuing grading and building permits. The Planning Division handles environmental review of public and private projects. Advanced planning programs provided by the division include a comprehensive General Plan update, preparing and amending specific plans, and conducting special land use studies as directed by the Planning Commission and City Council.
200 Civic Center Drive, 1st Floor, Vista CA 92084
Development Services: 760.639.6108