The San Diego Humane Society provides lost and found services at our Oceanside Campus for the cities of Oceanside and Vista. If you live outside of these cities, please visit the Humane Society website for a list of other organizations that provide lost and found services.
- During Business Hours Please call 619.243.3466 or fill out the online form here: Lost and Found Pets
- If you find a pet after hours, please hold onto the pet until the San Diego Humane Society is open.
What to do if you have LOST your pet
- Call area shelters: Contact San Diego Humane Society and shelters in surrounding cities to see if someone has filed a found report for your animal.
- File a lost report: Contact San Diego Humane Society and shelters in surrounding cities to file a lost report. Don’t forget to send pictures of the animal.
- Search the San Diego Humane Society website here or call during business hours.
- Continue searching: Continue calling San Diego Humane Society and other shelters and checking shelter websites – your pet may show up after you called or searched the first time.
- Create a Lost Pet flier and post it at:
What to do if you have FOUND a pet
- Gather as much information as you can: pet’s name, age, weight, breed, color, overall description, location lost/found, a photograph.
- File a found report: Contact the San Diego Humane Society and other shelters in surrounding cities to file a found report.
- Search the San Diego Humane Society website for pets reported as lost.
- Check for a microchip: Take the pet to a local veterinarian office or clinic to have them scanned for a microchip to try to locate the owner (it’s FREE).
- Bring the pet in to San Diego Humane Society during business hours.
- Continue searching: Check the San Diego Humane Society website as well as other shelter websites for animals that have been reported as lost. Also look for Lost Pet fliers in your neighborhood. If the owner is not located and you are interested in adopting the animal as your own, San Diego Humane Society can provide you the information needed to adopt the animal
- Legally, the transfer of ownership of a lost animal may only be completed after the required holding period.