The chartered City of Vista is governed by a five-member City Council composed of the Mayor (elected at large) and four Council Members elected by district. The City Clerk is the election official and is responsible for the conduct of its municipal elections, as well as facilitating candidate filing procedures and assisting candidates in meeting their legal responsibilities during an election. Elections are held in even numbered years. The next General Municipal Election will be held on November 3, 2020, for the City Council Member seats in District two and three.
By District Elections
The City of Vista has changed the way city council representatives are elected and has switched from an at-large election to a district-based election system. Beginning in 2018, the City’s new by-district election system divides the city into four geographic sections. Voters in each district select one council representative who also lives in that district. The mayor will continue to be elected at-large by the voters of Vista.
- Register to Vote: http://registertovote.ca.gov/
- Check your Registration: http://www2.sdcounty.ca.gov/rov/Eng/Voters.asp
- Find your polling place: http://www2.sdcounty.ca.gov/rov/Eng/Polling.asp
- FAQ’s: http://www.sdvote.com/content/dam/rov/en/election/16Nov/FAQ%2011-2016%20-%20FINAL.pdf
Voter Registration Information
Residents may register to vote at any time. If a qualified voter is not registered to vote and wants to vote in a particular election, the qualified voter must register at least 15 days before that election.
- Voter registration requirements: U.S. Citizen and 18 years of age on or before election day.
- Voter registration forms are available online at the San Diego Registrar of Voters website. Citizens can fill in the registration form on-line, print and sign, and mail to the Registrar of Voters.
- Voter registration forms are also available at the City Clerk’s Office, U.S. Post Offices, public libraries, the Department of Motor Vehicles, and other public buildings.
Questions About Voting?
Contact the San Diego County Registrar of Voters
P: 800.696.0136 or online at sdvote.com. Absentee ballots may be obtained from the San Diego County Registrar of Voters.