Water Wise Tips to Keep Children Safe
Post Date:05/20/2019 3:10 PM
We know water is everywhere. Whether it's a trip to the beach or a dip in the community or backyard pool, you can ensure that swimming is as safe as it is fun by following a few basic safety tips.
Top Tips about Swimming Safety
- Watch kids when they are in or around water, without being distracted.
- Keep young children within arm’s reach of an adult. Make sure older children swim with a partner every time.
- Always keep a phone nearby for emergencies.
- Have a designated water watcher to be distraction free to focus on the pool or area of water the children are playing in or around.
- Teach children how to swim.
- Teach children that swimming in open water is not the same as swimming in a pool. They need to be aware of uneven surfaces, river currents, ocean undertow and changing weather.
- Know what to do in an emergency. Learning CPR and basic water rescue skills may help save a child’s life.