The Vista Volunteer Fire Department was organized in July, 1928. It numbered 17 members, including a Fire Chief. They served the community providing fire protection using a Seagrave hose and chemical truck that carried 1000 feet of fire hose.
The volunteer department grew in size and in 1945 became a full-time paid department with 3 paid members, a Fire Chief, a new fire engine and a $4000.00 loan from the San Diego County Board of Supervisors.
The original station was built in 1929 and was located at 125 S. Indiana Avenue. It housed the fire apparatus, firefighters and associated fire equipment all in a 20 x 28-foot structure. This building was remodeled in the 1940's to accommodate the paid full-time firefighters that had been hired.